There are an infinite number of infant seats on the market. If you are looking for a great seat, you aren’t alone! With my first baby, I did not read reviews on baby gear before I bought anything. Instead, I purchased items because they looked cute or matched my color scheme… Oh, how I regret that.
I ended up with several items I used daily that I despised. One was the infant seat I purchased… I got a Baby Trend LX Travel system seat and I really disliked it. It lacked padding, the latch system wasn’t easy to install and tighten, the harness was difficult to buckle, and the seat sat straight up in the car which was fine when my baby was bigger but as a small baby, his head dropped forward. It just wasn’t a great seat…
With my last baby, I decided to research and look for a new seat. I needed something slim (I needed to fit 3 car seats across the row in my SUV), lightweight, comfortable, and, of course, cute.
After reading tons of reviews, I settled on the Chicco Keyfit 30.
About the Chicco Keyfit 30
The Chicco Keyfit 30 is boasted as the #1 rated infant seat in America. I will say I spent quite some time asking various mom groups and boards that I frequent what seat they would recommend and 9 times out of 10, the answer I got was the Chicco Keyfit 30.
Moms just seem to love this seat.
Per the Chicco website, here are some of the key features of the Chicco Keyfit 30:
- #1-rated infant car seat in America
- ReclineSure Leveling Foot adjusts to fit vehicle seat angle
- RideRight Bubble-level Indicators show when a proper fit has been achieved
- SuperCinch One-pull LATCH Tightener uses force-multiplying technology to achieve a tight, secure fit with a fraction of the effort
- Removable padded infant insert for babies 4-11 lbs.
- Seat interior lined with EPS energy-absorbing foam for improved impact protection
- Adjustable, multi-position canopy
- Easy removal from both stroller and base
- Smooth underside of base helps protect against damage to vehicle seats
- Easy vehicle belt routing and a built-in lock-off system accommodate vehicles without LATCH
- Conforms to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, FMVSS 213
- FAA approved for use on an aircraft
- Compatible with the Chicco Bravo, Urban™, Activ3, TRE, Neuvo, Liteway Plus, KeyFit Caddy, Cortina, Cortina Magic and Cortina Together Strollers
- Color description: various colors available
- Dimensions Assembled : 27.5L x 24H x 17W
- Assembled Weight: 17.15 lbs.
- Weight without Base: 9.6 lbs.
Proper installation is the KEY to making your baby’s world safer. #1-Rated Chicco KeyFit 30 is the easiest car seat to install simply, accurately and securely. Every time.
ReclineSure Spring-Loaded Leveling Foot adjusts to your vehicle’s seat angle. RideRight Bubble-level Indicators show when a proper base angle has been achieved, and to secure the base, SuperCinch One-pull LATCH Tightener uses force-multiplying technology to make a tight, secure fit with a fraction of the effort!
Lined with energy-absorbing foam, the KeyFit 30 is equipped with a five-point harness that quickly and easily adjusts for an accurate fit, using the one-pull harness adjustment. For smaller babies (4-11 lbs), an ergonomic infant insert provides extra support and helps create a snug and secure ride on baby’s first trips in the car.
What’s the Real Reason Moms Love the Chicco Keyfit 30?
Here are a few things I quickly noticed and loved about the Chicco Keyfit 30:
- Padding: The infant insert is very cozy and great for hugging a small baby. I loved how cushy it was. Even without the infant insert, the padding is decent and makes for a comfortable ride.
- Strap Covers: The car seat comes with padded strap covers which are a nice add. I had to purchase some for my last car seat.
- Easy to Install: One of my favorite features of this seat is how easy it is to install. With other seats, I have literally had to climb on top of the base to put enough weight on it so it will be tight enough. The Chicco is super simple to latch in and the strap to tighten it makes it much easier to secure it without much effort. No more climbing on top of the seat! It also has adjustable feet to get the right angle. That was something my last car seat lacked and my poor baby sat straight up.
- Easy to adjust the straps: Adjusting the straps is easy peasy. There is a release button to loosen it and strap that you pull to tighten it. Makes being sure you have a perfect fit each time so much easier.
- Easy to Remove from the Car: I love that I can unlatch the seat from the base with one hand. It makes getting the seat in and out much easier since it is installed in the middle seat of my SUV and I have to reach over another car seat to get it out.
- Light Weight: Let’s be real, baby car seats are not light. In fact, they are a pain in the ass…or should I say arm, to carry around. I found the Chicco a lot lighter than most seats. It is just over 9lbs (then, of course, adding the weight of your baby to that) so not too bad.
- Fits Stroller: One thing that is great about the Chicco Keyfit is that you will find a number of stroller brands that it fits. I have a Baby Trend Double Sit N Stand and the Chicco fit the stroller just fine. Most major brands have adapters for the Chicco which is great and means you won’t be limited to just a Chicco stroller.
Add Chicco Keyfit to your baby registry today! Click Below to Sign Up!
See the Chicco Keyfit in Action
This demo video gives you a good overview of the features of the Chicco Keyfit. I think this best demonstrates how easy it is to install in your car. It really is as easy as it looks.
Chicco Keyfit Options
There are several options to choose from when it comes to the Chicco Keyfit. There is the Keyfit 30, the Keyfit 30 Zip, and the Keyfit 30 Magic. I have the basic Keyfit 30 and find I don’t miss much. But I am sure the bells and whistles on the Zip and Magic are worth the upgrade. I also don’t live somewhere with extreme weather, but if I did, the Zip or Magic would be a great choice.
The Keyfit Zip includes a zip-off canopy, zip-on visor, and zip-around boot. For easy washing, the car seat also includes a machine-washable, quick-remove seat pad.
The Keyfit 30 Magic has a reversible infant insert that offers both breathable mesh and soft fabric, a large canopy with a zip-out, mesh panel extension, and the all-weather boot folds open while attached to the car seat to give parents convenient, full-access to both baby and harness.
In addition to the three styles, there are several colors and fabric patterns to choose from. I went with a basic black color scheme but there are some fun ones out there.
Yep, I Love My Chicco Keyfit
There I said it. I love this seat. Having had three kids, believe me when I say I have tried a lot of car seats. If you are looking for an affordable, slim, comfortable, and easy to use car seat, then the Chicco Keyfit will be perfect.
I looked at several brands that were twice the price of the Chicco and ultimately I feel the Chicco is up there with those more expensive seats. I am glad I settled on the Chicco. It has been a great seat. I only wish I had found it when I had my first baby!
If you are on the fence about this seat, let me tell you that you really can’t go wrong here. I think you will like it as much as I do!
Have questions about the Chicco Keyfit? Drop me a comment below!