Where to Buy: Amazon (currently on sale!)
What you get:
Hospital Grade Pump
4-6oz Large Neck Bottles (no nipples)
Bottle Tote and Carry Tote
AC Wall Adapter.
My Overall Rating: 10 out of 10
Why I love the Spectra Baby S1:
When I was looking for my first breast pump while pregnant with my first baby, hospital grade breast pumps were crazy expensive. We are talking upwards of $900+. Renting them wasn’t much better as that added up fast each month!
But the rumor on the street was that hospital grade breast pumps were far superior then personal pumps. That is for a few reasons:
- They are closed system pumps and can be used by more than one person.
- They are bigger and have different suction settings than “over the counter” pumps.
- They are much stronger and better for early use to establish milk supply.
The Spectra Baby USA S1 claims to be a “hospital grade” pump and this could be a marketing technique for them as the term “hospital grade” is not recognized by the FDA. Hospital grade is typically used to signify that it allows more than one user and being they are more expensive and better pumps, the pump is more powerful.
So does the Spectra live up to the term “Hospital Grade?”
It appears so. This pump is highly rated and in some cases even had a better rating than other hospital grade pumps out there that are significantly more expensive.
That brings me to the Spectra Baby S1’s most impressive feature – Its price. It is hundreds, if not nearly a one thousand dollars less than typical hospital grade pumps. If you are struggling with a low supply, have multiples, a preemie, or are away from your baby often, this is a fantastic hospital grade pump at a fair price!
Some Key Features
The Spectra Baby S1 has a long list of features but here are some of the highlights:
- Hospital grade
- Has a built-in rechargeable battery and AC adapter.
- Powerful pump performance with a maximum suction strength of 280mmHg (+/- 15) per Spectra Offical Site.
- It is a closed system pump.
- Can be used as a single or double pump.
- Digital controls that allow you to set the speed and rhythm that is most effective for your body.
- Digital controls also allow you to save your favorite settings and set a program.
- The suction is adjustable whether in let-down or expression mode.
- Super quiet
- Very light – weighs as much as 4 apples!
- 2 level built-in light
- BPA Free parts
For you visual learners, watch the below video for a great look at all the features of the Spectra Baby S1:
How the Spectra Baby S1 Stacks Up
The Spectra Baby S1 is often referred to as the “Cadillac” of breast pumps. The fact that it is so affordable and is a hospital grade pump really is enough but there are many more features that set it apart from its competition.
One of those features is the two settings it offers – Massage and Expression Modes.
The pump will start in Massage mode, a short, shallow mode designed to stimulate your body’s letdown reflex which mimics how a baby sucks at the breast when it first starts nursing. It will then switch to expression mode, a deeper, slower pattern of suction which mimics how your baby nurses after your milk has let down.
The great thing is that you can switch back and forth between the two which is helpful for women who find it hard to get a letdown when pumping.
There are other pumps on the market of course that offer this feature and do it well (the Medela Freestyle is one) but what I really like about the Spectra is the combination of the two settings, the digital screen, and quiet, quiet pump motor. All these things together make it right up there in my top favorite pumps!
Cons of the Spectra Baby S1
- Wide-neck bottles are needed (though an adapter can be purchased separately)
- One size flange
- Users complained of limited instruction on cycle use for beginners
Pros of the Spectra Baby S1
- Price, Price, Price!
- Hospital Grade
- Powerful pump motor but very comfortable
- Quiet and lightweight
- Closed system pumps
- BPA Free
- Company offers great customer service
The Spectra Baby S1 is a fantastic pump. Any moms who are struggling with supply issues, this is a must have. This pump is strong enough to keep your supply where it needs to be but gentle enough that you won’t feel discomfort while pumping.
Keeping the pump clean is as easy as cleaning the flanges as this is a closed system pump.
I was disappointed that the milk collection kit is made for wide neck bottles. But there are many great wide neck bottles out there (Avent and Dr. Brown’s are my favorites) or you can purchase the adapter to pump into standard sized bottles so that is a plus.
I highly recommend this pump! It is by far one of the best on the market.
Click here to read more about the Spectra Baby S1 Breast Pump!
Needs Accessories for your Spectra S1? Visit our Spectra Pump Parts Page: