Okay, it must be said: I am a complete cookie snob. Or maybe just a baked-goods-in-general snob but either way, I know a good cookie when I eat one.
I like my cookies gooey and slightly underdone. I prefer to eat them right out of the oven for maximum enjoyment. Well, imagine my surprise (and delight) when I discovered lactation cookies. It seemed like there was a catch when I heard about eating a cookie to increase your milk supply.
This must be too good to be true, right!?
Well, after a few really bad recipes, it appeared it was too good to be true but they all tasted awful.
The ingredient that often causes the terrible (and typically bitter) taste in lactation cookies is Brewers Yeast. But it is also one of the essential ingredients that help make the cookie a lactation cookie versus just an everyday cookie. After some trial and error, I found it is best to use Debittered Brewers Yeast to cut down on some of the bitterness. This works great in baking.
So if you are tired of popping supplement pills and gulping down herbal teas to build your milk supply, then give these yummy little treats a try!
Pumpkin Lactation Cookie Recipe
Love pumpkin pie? Then these cookies are for you! With a lovely cake-like texture and ingredients such as pumpkin pie spice, brown sugar, and vanilla these cookies do not disappoint. They are delicious!
They incorporate oats, brewers yeast, and flax meal to help increase and maintain healthy lactation in mothers making these the perfect cookie for all nursing moms!
- 2 – Cups Flour
- 1 1/2- Cup Oats (Steel Cut or Rolled Oats, not instant oatmeal)
- 1 1/2 – Cups Brown Sugar
- 1 – Cup Sugar
- 1 TBSP – Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 TSP – Salt
- 1 TSP – Baking Soda
- 3 TBSP – Brewer’s Yeast (Debittered)
- 2 TBSP – Flax Meal
- (1) 15 oz. Can Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup – Butter (Softened)
- 1 TSP – Vanilla Extract
STEP 1: Preheat Oven to 350°
STEP 2: Mix Wet Ingredients: Pumpkin Puree, egg, butter, and Vanilla Extract together in a bowl, Set aside
STEP 3: In a second, large bowl – Mix together Dry Ingredients: flour, Oats, Brown Sugar, Sugar, Pumpkin Pie Spice, Salt, Baking Soda, Brewer’s Yeast, Flax Meal.
STEP 4: Add Wet Ingredient mixture slowly into Dry Ingredients, mixing as you go. Mix only until combined. Do Not over mix.
STEP 5: Scoop spoon-sized balls of dough onto a greased cookie sheet. Ensure you leave about 2″ between each cookie.
STEP 6: Bake for 12-15 Minutes. (Note: Baking times may vary in different ovens)
STEP 7: Remove from Oven and allow to cool.
Like Chocolate Chips in yours? Or maybe need healthier options? Check out these alternatives!
- Want to make a healthier cookie?
- Try substituting Coconut Oil for the butter. (use 1 cup)
- Replace 1/2 the sugar with Apple Sauce (You can replace all of it but it will be quite watery and will need a balance of dry ingredients. I have not played with this ratio so I caution it but hey, give it a try and let us know how it turned out!)
- Try these great alternatives to change it up!
- Add 3/4 Cup of Chocolate Chips (Healthier Option- Dark Chocolate Chips)
- Add 3/4 Cup of White Chocolate Chips
- Add 1/2 Cup of Chopped Walnuts
- Drizzle cookies with royal frosting
Want to Print this recipe? Click here to Download a Printer-Friendly copy!
Have a great lactation cookie recipe? Share it with us!