Working and pumping is not easy!
I went back to my stuffy corporate job where I worked long hours when my first baby was 4 months old.
I felt very lucky to have 4 months of maternity leave but the process of preparing to go back to work was tough. I had no idea what to do or where to start.
On top of sorting out child care for my infant, I had to worry about building a freezer stash, ensuring my baby would take a bottle, figuring out how much to feed him per bottle, finding a routine and schedule for pumping while away to ensure I was pumping enough, etc, etc, etc.
But one topic I didn’t focus enough on was finding the right breast pump.
I had no idea there were pumps that were considered the best breast pump for working moms…
Or that there was a huge difference in pump performance, portability, and accessories to worry about.
I found out fairly quickly that having a quality, strong and portable pump is a must as a working mom!
Best Breast Pump for Working Moms
So what are some things to look for when selecting a pump before returning to work?
- Pump Strength – You will want a strong pump to ensure you are pumping enough milk on limited time.
- Portability – If you need to pump on the go or will not have access to a wall outlet, you need a pump that will run off batteries.
- Lightweight – Hauling a massive pump around isn’t fun and can be very inconvenient.
- Double Electric Pump – While you can pump with a single pump or even a manual pump, you will save time and yield more milk (studies show) by using a double electric pump.
- Accessories – Having the right accessories to complement your pump can make your life a lot easier. Things like extra pumping parts, a pump-to-feed system, a quality Pump Bag, a good cooler, etc are all ways to ensure you are able to easily carry your pump and save time pumping!
My Picks for 8 of the Best Breast Pumps for Working Moms
The Medela Freestyle is by far at the top of my short list of pumps for working moms!
Best Features of the Freestyle:
- Lightweight – weighs less than 1 lbs!
- Built-in Rechargeable Battery lasts 3 hours
- Features Medela’s 2-Phase Technology including Letdown Mode
- Digital Screen with Backlighting
- Comes with Hands-free attachment
- Memory Mode setting
- Strong Pump Suction – One of the best on the market!
- Comes with a ton of Accessories including a tote and cooler!
If you need a super strong pump that is lightweight, contains a ton of accessories, then the Freestyle is the perfect pump for your pumping journey. I cannot say enough good things about my Freestyle. It has been a lifesaver when on the go!
2 – Spectra S1
It is not nearly as small as the Freestyle, but it is portable and a good pump bag would make carrying it around a breeze.
Best Features of the Spectra S1:
- Hospital Grade Strength – Powerful Pump Motor
- Built-in Rechargeable Battery
- Closed System
- Digital screen with backlighting
- Memory Mode to save pump cycle settings
- Very quiet
- Lightweight for its size – weighs less than 4 apples!
- Affordable Price Tag!
The Spectra S1 shines in a lot of ways but its powerful pump motor and how comfortable it is to use makes this a great choice for working moms who have a concern about keeping their supply up. It works amazingly well off the built-in rechargeable battery making it perfect for pumping when you have no access to a power source.
The best thing about the Spectra S1? The price! It is super affordable and costs hundreds less than some of the other popular pump brands. This pump is a steal!
3 – Medela Sonata
Medela’s newest pump features their hospital grade technology from their stand out hospital grade pump, the Symphony.
With Medelas signature 2-Phase Expression Technology that mimics how your baby nurses automatically and their Responsive Pump Technology which detects and responds to your body to ensure consistent pressure, the Sonata is a Pumping Moms dream come true!
The features of the Sonata are endless. It is the best pump I have tried thus far technology-wise. It has everything you need and more as a pumping and working mom.
Best Features of the Sonata:
- Light Weight – Only weighs 2.2 lbs!
- Quiet – The quietest pump I have used so far
- Built-in Rechargeable Battery – Can go about 3-4 pumping sessions before needing a charge
- Sleek, Modern Pump Design
- Backlit Pump Face – Makes late night pumping a breeze
- 2-Phase Technology
- Responsive Pump Technology
- Bluetooth enabled Smart Pump – Connects to MyMedela App to tracking pumping sessions
- Hospital Performance Pump – Features the same technology as the Medela Symphony
- 2 Pumping Rhythms to choose from
- Closed System
This pump has so many options to customize your pumping session, that it is truly tailor-made for each mom. It also connects to Medela’s MyMedela app which tracks your pumping sessions via Bluetooth and allows you to enter the number of ounces you pumped per side, per session to help you be sure you are pumping enough for your baby!
If you are looking for all the bells and whistles, the Sonata is IT!
4 – Ameda Finesse
The Ameda Finesse features Ameda’s Natural Rhythmic Waveform. This technology is featured in their hospital grade pump, the Ameda Platinum. The only way I can describe the Waveform technology is that it truly feels like how a baby nurses rather than a tugging (like a lot of pumps).
It is one of the most comfortable pumps to use! It’s also lightweight, small, and has the option to run off batteries making it portable.
Best Features of the Finesse:
- Natural Rhythmic Waveform for your comfort, which means more milk
- Quiet Technology
- Portable – Option to run off Batteries
- Comes with several Breast Shield Sizes
- Closed System
- Lightweight and small
- Comes with a lot of accessories including a tote bag and cooler
The Finesse is a great option for working moms who need a comfortable, small, and portable pump!
5 – Ardo Calypso
The Ardo Calypso is one of the quietest pumps on the market. It is a good option for working moms who don’t have a lot of privacy!
Along with a host of features, the Ardo Calypso is portable, lightweight, and easy to use!
Best Features of the Ardo Calypso:
- WHO Code Compliant
- The suction strength (vacuum) and frequency settings (cycle) can be adjusted individually and independently from each other
- Closed Pump System thanks to “Vacuum Seal” technology
- Optiflow inserts actively massage the breast
- AA Battery feature for operation away from electric power
- Small and Lightweight
There are several different sets you can choose to buy when looking at the Calypso and some come with a lot of accessories like their Amaryl Lever which allows the pump to also be a manual pump. This is an awesome feature! If you ever had an issue with the batteries, pump motor, or had no access to a power source, you can still use your Ardo Calypso!
6 – Spectra 9
If you are looking for a tiny, yet powerful pump, the Spectra 9 is worth a look. This pump is literally the size of a cell phone and weighs almost nothing but you don’t lose the power you expect from a Spectra pump.
Best Features of the Spectra 9:
- Very portable! Easy to carry and lightweight.
- Features a Letdown Mode – With a touch of a button, stimulate your milk to flow by switching to “Letdown Mode.” The fast and lighter section of this setting mimics a hungry baby to help get your milk flowing.
- Control of cycle speed & suction strength.
- Built-in rechargeable battery – Can be used plugged in or with the built-in battery that lasts up to 3 hours.
- LCD display that allows you to easily adjust the pump speed and suction strength, keep track of how long you have pumped with a timer and see the battery life.
- Closed system
- Powerful pump motor you come to expect from Spectra with a maximum suction of 260mmHg
The Spectra 9 is quite affordable and is a great option for any working mom who wants to be able to slip their pump into their purse.
For its size, performance, and price, the Spectra 9 is a standout!
7 – Motif Duo
One of my favorite things about the Motif Duo is its ability to record your pump session and replay that in memory mode so you don’t have to manually switch to expression mode.
The Best Features of the Motif Duo:
- Light-weight (weighs less than a pound)
- 10 different Massage and Expression levels for max customization
- Memory Mode to automatically follow your preferred pump settings
- Backlit LCD screen
- Auto shutoff after 30 minutes to save battery
- Closed System
- Built-in rechargeable battery
- Quiet pump motor
- Features three settings: Massage, Expression, and Memory Mode
- Wide-mouth collection bottles
- The display features a timer
If you want a tiny, lightweight pump that also comes with some of the features of a full-sized pump, the Motif Duo is a great option!
8 – Hygeia Enjoye
The Hygeia Enjoye has rave reviews among pumping moms. It is a strong, lightweight pump that is very efficient at pulling down the most milk per pumping session.
Best Features of the Hygeia Enjoye:
- WHO Compliant
- Green Company with No Pumps in Dumps campaign
- Independent speed and suction controls allow you to mimic baby’s unique suckling pattern
- Prerecorded and Recordable Buttons to record baby to assist with letdown
- Personal Accessory Set is included
- Lightweight – weights 2.04 pounds
- BPA/DEHP free.
- Closed System pump
- Enjoye Cordless features built-in rechargeable battery
Overall the Hygeia Enjoye is an affordable, portable, and strong pump. It is a great option for moms who love to support green-minded companies and take advantage of their recycling program!
Pin it For Later!